WASHINGTON — Helen R. Bennett, 66, of Washington, passed away Sunday. Born in Galena, Ill., she was the daughter of the late Franklin and Maydel Robertson. Survivors include her loving husband, Jim Bennett; two sons, Bruce Bennett (Megan) of North Dakota, and James Bennett of Iowa; one daughter, Doreen Fitzgerald (Chad) of Washington; five grandchildren, Tisha Dillman (Eric), Kimberly Hols (Brandon), Jamerson Hols, Jacob Hols and Kaeleigh Fitzgerald, all of Washington; siblings, Maryann, Terry, David, Frankie and Cindy; and many nieces and nephews. She is preceded in death by a brother, Teddy Robertson, and a daughter-in-law, Michelle Bennett. Visitation will be held at the Fremont Funeral Chapel, Walnut and Main, Fremont, Iowa, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday. A service will follow Friday at 1 p.m. also at the funeral home. Burial will be in Cedar Township Cemetery, Fremont. You may leave a condolence for the family at www.gillsince1872.com
Died Nov. 25, 2012
- Local News
- Local Sports
Wagler, Stoll pace Vikings
Brandon Wagler and Myron Stoll each hit three-run home runs as Barr-Reeve defeated Eastern Greene, 15-3, in six innings Monday.
- WHS camp is Monday
- Washington Catholic High School is seeking coaches for the fall season.
- Hatchets top Cougars
- Chestnut's big day lifts Vikings
- Wagler, Stoll pace Vikings
- The "Z" Watch
IU still working towards sixth banner
Monday night in Atlanta, Louisville won the school’s first National Championship since the year I was born - 1986. This accomplishment is significant to Indiana basketball fans, because the last two times the Cardinals cut down the nets (1980, 1986), the Hoosiers did it the following year. The stat, of course means nothing, other than both schools had strong programs in the 1980s.
- Zeller declares for NBA
- Washington shows support for Zeller
- Zeller scores 18, but Pacers beat Cavs 99-94
- Oladipo, Zeller named All-Americans
- IU still working towards sixth banner
In fan fiction, your favorite characters do what you want them to
When J.J. Abrams took over the "Star Trek" franchise in 2009, he boldly went where the series hadn't gone before — romantically — pairing Uhura with Spock. Many fans disliked the change. Some loved it. Others didn't care, because they just wanted to see Kirk and Spock make out.
May 22, 2013 1 Photo
- VIDEO: Orlando shootout tied to Boston bomb suspect
- Okla. officials vow not to quit looking until everyone is found
- In fan fiction, your favorite characters do what you want them to
Movie preview: “Star Trek Into Darkness”
Plot: When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within that has left Starfleet in ruins, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.
- Movie preview: “The Great Gatsby”
- Movie preview: “Peeples”
- Movie preview: “Star Trek Into Darkness”
- State News
Indiana’s high school grad rate continues upward
Indiana’s reported high school graduation rate continues to improve, moving from 77 percent to more than 88 percent in less than a decade, but there are still significant achievement gaps marked by race and income.
- Schools chief Ritz on fast learning curve
- SLIDESHOW: Governor Otis R. Bowen
- Indiana’s high school grad rate continues upward