WASHINGTON — Iin the bow of a Daviess County Sheriff’s Office boat, Lt. Detective Bill Dougherty, at left, and Deputy Troy Fuhs, at right, check a line attached to a 2007 Mazda pulled from the West Fork of the White River Wednesday afternoon. The two DCSO divers went into the 37-degree water to hook cables to the vehicle so it could be pulled out. Detective Kevin Eaton, seated in the center of the boat, assisted during the recovery, and Major Jeff Riker steered. Alva Greemore of Craney’s Body Shop checks inside the vehicle after reattaching a cable to tow it up to road level. The wrecker service used about 500 feet of cable to pull the Mazda to the Robert C. Graham Bridge on U.S. 50W. The vehicle was reported stolen from Vincennes a few days ago.
- Local News
North Daviess still facing budget cuts
Members of the state legislature gave schools a two percent increase but North Daviess Community Schools Superintendent Robert Bell said the corporation will still get funding cuts over the next four years.
- Three injured in accident
- Wrestlers for relay
- Dollar General focuses on reading
- Letters returned after 55 years
- North Daviess still facing budget cuts
- Local Sports
Pacers miss golden opportunity
The Indiana Pacers had the Miami Heat right where they wanted them in the waning moments of overtime Wednesday night, but they couldn’t get out of their own way long enough to secure their most important playoff victory in more than a decade.
- Rivet beats Lions in 1st round of sectional
- Hatchets season ends with loss to Jasper
- Loogootee falls to Rivet in Sectional 63
- Wagler, Stoll pace Vikings
- Pacers miss golden opportunity
- The "Z" Watch
IU still working towards sixth banner
Monday night in Atlanta, Louisville won the school’s first National Championship since the year I was born - 1986. This accomplishment is significant to Indiana basketball fans, because the last two times the Cardinals cut down the nets (1980, 1986), the Hoosiers did it the following year. The stat, of course means nothing, other than both schools had strong programs in the 1980s.
- Zeller declares for NBA
- Washington shows support for Zeller
- Zeller scores 18, but Pacers beat Cavs 99-94
- Oladipo, Zeller named All-Americans
- IU still working towards sixth banner
Twitter introduces website security tool after AP account hacked
Twitter is adding a new security tool to its website, making it harder for outsiders to gain access to accounts, a month after a false posting triggered a stock-market decline.
May 23, 2013 1 Photo
- Siblings withstand storm in fridge
- Mom delivered baby as tornado struck
- Twitter introduces website security tool after AP account hacked
Movie preview: “Star Trek Into Darkness”
Plot: When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within that has left Starfleet in ruins, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.
- Movie preview: “The Great Gatsby”
- Movie preview: “Peeples”
- Movie preview: “Star Trek Into Darkness”
- State News
State won’t use free lunch program as poverty indicator
Indiana is changing the way it counts low-income students in public schools because Republican legislators suspect fraud in the federal school-lunch program used to measure poverty.
- Report: State is both ‘leader and laggard’
- Indiana’s high school grad rate continues upward
- State won’t use free lunch program as poverty indicator